Sunday, January 4, 2009

Nice stories I just want to share

Anything that interests me: Nice stories I just want to share

With the world in recession plus a whole host of negative things around us (fires in Thailand clubs, dead Singaporeans and live terrorists, Israel attacking Hamas yet again... et al), I think I would like to share some nice stories instead. 

Just for a change. 

Anyways, some random nice stories, in my own words:


To Lay Down One's Life for Others

During the Vietnam War, the Americans accidentally bombed a village and injured many young children. One little girl was especially hurt and needed a huge blood transfusion to save her life. She was rushed to hospital by her teacher, accompanied by friends and classmates. 

The Red Cross nurse who was tending to her asked everyone: "Will any one here in this hospital give her blood? She's dying!" 

However, none of the Vietnamese in the hospital responded, including the girl's friends. 

A little boy took a look at the dying girl, and then volunteered to give blood. 

The nurse took her syringe and started her work. As she did, the life started returning to the girl's face and she looked much better, and the Doctor said, "She's going to live, because of you. Well done, little boy." 

And the boy said, in a trembling voice: "Well, I am glad that she can live. When will I start dying? Am I going to die now?" 

It was then that the Red Cross nurse realised that every one of the Vietnamese had misunderstood and that they thought they had to give their life to save the girl.

My thought: As Jesus says, there's no greater love than giving your life for your friends. I am touched every time I read this one.


A Success in Business

A boss was hiring workers to sell telephone systems when a cowboy walked into his office. 

"Hire me, boss, I wanna become a success in beeness (business)," said the cowboy. 

The boss thought that he would never make it, but gave him a chance anyways because he thought that the cowboy would be out in a month. 

"Thanks sir, you won't regret it," said the cowboy, "how much do ya think I will make inna month?" 

The boss said, "Well, based on your lack of experience and your dressing, your accent, and your bad English, no more than 1000 bucks a month!" 

The cowboy said, "No problem; that's more than what I get back at the ranch anyways!" (He got 400 bucks working as a cowboy.)

He went on to make 6,000 bucks on his first month and went from success to success. 

One day he even came into the office with bags of cash and said, "Hey Larry, I doing fine, no?" 

The boss was flabbergasted. 

He said, "I don't know if you take paper (a cheque - he didn't know what a cheque was), so I drove the lady to the bank and got her to give me the money in cash!" 

How did he sell the phones to her, to begin with? The boss wanted to know. 

He said: "Well, I just said to her, 'Ma'am, let's just say the phone does nothing but ring and you pick it up, my brand looks nicer than those that you already have!' "

The cowboy also wrote down his goals: "I wanna be a success in beeness." And he made hundreds of cold calls a day. He wrote his goals and went for it, and eventually did become a success in business.


To Risk
by William Arthur Ward/ Author unknown (I have found multiple attributions)

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental
To reach out to others is to risk involvement
To expose feelings is to risk exposing your true self
To place your ideas, your dreams before a crowd is to risk their loss
To love is to risk not being loved in return
To live is to risk dying
To hope is to risk despair
To try is to risk failure

But risks must be taken,
because the greatest hazard in life is to do nothing.

The person who risks nothing,
does nothing, has nothing, and is nothing.
They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
but they cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love, live.

Chained by their attitudes, they are a slave,
they forfeited their freedom.
Only the person who risks can be free.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
And the realist adjusts the sails.


Invictus
by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate, 
I am the captain of my soul.


And another nice, well, advertisement, in this case, that I want to share is:

Impossible

Impossible is just a big word
thrown around by small men
who find it easier to live
in the world they've been given
than to explore the power they have
to change it.

Impossible is not a fact.
It's an opinion.

Impossible is not a declaration.
It's a dare.

Impossible is potential.
Impossible is temporary.

Impossible is nothing.


Anything that interests me!